Thursday, September 22, 2005

Settling in to Dakar

Dakar Dem Dikk is Wolof for "Dakar Move Fast," the name of the big, blue buses that carry people to and fro all around this city. For fifty cents and the patience to wait for the next one, it's my chauffeur. I still haven't figured out the routes -- all buses seem to go to Palais, which is downtown on the Plateau and usually my destination -- but it's a great way to see the city. If there's a breeze and the room to stand without touching someone or even to sit, it's the best ride in town.

Beyond that, I'm still searching for an Internet cafe with an Ethernet connection and have yet to find an Epo-esque chop stand for quick, cheap lunches. But it's hot, humid and friendly, just like the Africa I remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home